Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Treasure Hunt for Rusty Gold

I almost forgot how much I love to hunt for old junk. When I saw the ad for a yard sale on an old farm, offering tools, old metal crates and the like, I just had to check it out for myself. When I got to the old run down pretty little farm, there was just one old guy and the two gentleman having the sale, and the Goats. Sounds perfect to me. Much less competition that way, I was able to take my time and really see what they had to offer. Everything was covered in dirt and dust, not to mention the spiderwebs ugh. But beneath the filth lay the Rusty Old Treasure I was looking for. Row after row of it. Of course some of it was actually junk, but that is the best part, The Hunt. Right off I saw three Old Metal Milk Crates, they were full of old parts and used up sanding disks, but after I was able to empty them out, what a find! Next, on to the backside of the lot. Leaning against the fence I found two old Shutters, and three dust covered Hand Carved Corbels, five old rusty Barrel Rings, and a Wooden Saw Horse Bench. Just sitting there, waiting for me if you can believe it! Oh, this was a wonderful Treasure Trove of Rusty Goodies. I could not believe they were all here in one place just waiting for me.

 So there I was with my steadily growing pile, in the heat of the day, sweaty and dirty. 
And I thought to myself, it just doesn't get any better than this. You can sometimes spend a whole weekend of driving from sale to sale, estate sales, yard sales, thrift store etc and not find a whole lot of anything special. I took my time, went through each row two or three times. In taking my time and appreciating all the wonderful treasures I was finding, I also got the tour of the place from the old man's son and the stories of what it was like to grow up in such a fun and free place. Not to mention the offer of the Free Goat with every purchase! By the time I left, he and I were well acquainted. I had a Mini Van full of Rusty Treasures and he even hosed off some of the spider webs for me. What a day. I went home and cleaned up my new Rusty Junk and took it all with me to my next Antique Faire Booth. These Treasures have come full circle now, on their way to new homes with new purpose and a new life. Other people seeing the beauty now, in what was once trash to some and treasure to others. What could be more perfect

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to write your comments. I appreciate your questions and feedback. Thanks